This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 13 °C Saturday 11 July, 2020

Ballymun and St Vincent's to meet again as Dublin SFC final ends in draw

Diarmuid Connolly kicked an 82nd minute equaliser to ensure the game went to a replay.

Ballymun's Derek Byrne tackled by Jarlath Curley of St Vincent's.
Ballymun's Derek Byrne tackled by Jarlath Curley of St Vincent's.

Ballymun Kickhams 0-20

St Vincent’s 1-17

* After extra-time

DUBLIN ACE DIARMUID Connolly kicked an 82nd minute equaliser to ensure the Dublin SFC finalists will do it all again on Wednesday night.

The St Vincent’s and county star tied it up with the very last kick of an epic game that went to extra-time at Parnell Park.

Both sides had their chances to seize victory but holders Ballymun will kick themselves most.

They led by five points with time almost up in normal time but an incredible late surge from Vincent’s that yielded 1-2 forced extra-time.

And though Ballymun again held the lead at the end of the extra 20 minutes, local outfit Vins refused to relent and forced the replay.

It will take place on Wednesday evening back at Parnell Park at 7.45pm.

Dublin are scheduled to field a representative in the AIB Leinster club championship next Sunday against Westmeath champions St Loman’s in Mullingar.

Ballymun looked good value for a fourth county title and their first ever back to back of crowns as they dominated for most of normal time.

They led 0-8 to 0-5 at half-time thanks in part to four points from county super sub Dean Rock who shot 0-8 in total.

Vincent’s opened brightly after the break with four points on the trot to lead by one.

But when Ballymun responded with points from Conor Weir, James McCarthy, Rock, Derek Byrne and Leahy, they took a commanding 0-13 to 0-9 lead.

Their lead was increased to five points at 0-16 to 0-11 with just a minute remaining.

But a goal from Vins sub Kevin Golden and points from Man of the Match Gavin Burke and Shane Carthy forced extra-time at 1-13 to 0-16.


Ballymun Kickhams: S Currie; P McMahon, S George, Eoin Dolan; A Hubbard (0-1), K Connolly, J Burke; Davey Byrne, J McCarthy (0-1); E Reilly (0-1), Derek Byrne (0-1), K Leahy (0-2); A O’Brien (0-1), D Rock (0-8, 6f), T Furman (0-2).

Subs: C Weir (0-2) for Reilly 39, J Small (0-1) for O’Brien 39, M Brady for Leahy 47, C Burke for Burke 47, J Welby for Derek Byrne 57. Derek Byrne for Connolly 75, Reilly for Rock 79.

St Vincent’s: M Savage; H Gill, J Curley, M Concarr; C Diamond, G Brennan, B Egan; D Murphy, M Loftus; G Burke (0-6), D Connolly (0-2; 1f), S Carthy (0-1); R Treanor (0-1), C Dorney (0-1), T Quinn (0-6; 4f).

Subs: E Fennell for Dorney 37, K Golden (1-0) for Loftus 45, N Mullins for Diamond 49. Loftus for Murphy 73, Dorney for 74, L Bree for Curley 74, Dorney for Treanor 82.

Referee: G McMahon (O’Dwyer’s).

LIVE: Sunday GAA club match tracker>

Galway and Kilkenny dominate Camogie All-Star awards>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Paul Keane

Read next: