This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 5 °C Saturday 23 March, 2019

Cork City's title celebrations put on hold as Dundalk dig out late equaliser

The champions-elect will have to wait to lift the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division trophy after playing out a 1-1 draw.

The Dundalk players with goalscorer Robbie Benson after his leveller.
The Dundalk players with goalscorer Robbie Benson after his leveller.
Image: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

Cork City 1
Dundalk 1

Denis Hurley reports from Turner’s Cross 

THE CHAMPAGNE REMAINS on ice for Cork City as Robbie Benson’s 87th-minute goal earned Dundalk a draw at Turner’s Cross tonight.

A first-half own goal by Brian Gartland had the home side within touching distance of the Premier Division title, but Benson was on hand to turn in Dylan Connolly’s cross, postponing the celebrations for John Caulfield’s side.

Having lost five of their last nine games in all competitions – four of the last six in the league – the Rebel Army were up against a side who had won their previous nine games in the league, FAI Cup and EA Sports Cup, but they were the better team for long periods and should have led by more than one goal before the equaliser.

The lead had come in the 20th minute, though a tad fortuitously. When Stephen Dooley’s cross found Garry Buckley, his shot was saved by Gary Rogers and, as Jimmy Keohane and Seán Hoare scrambled for the loose ball, Hoare’s clearance rebounded in off defensive partner Brian Gartland.

Stephen Dooley had a chance to double the lead, with his low shot saved by Gary Rogers, and then Dooley did well to set up Jimmy Keohane but he blazed over.

The early stages of the second half brought little in the way of goalmouth action. Dooley wasn’t far away with a free kick from the left, while Connolly and Michael Duffy had poor efforts for Dundalk.

There was still time for them to salvage something though, and Benson ensured they left with a point.

CORK CITY: Mark McNulty; Steven Beattie, Alan Bennett, Ryan Delaney, Shane Griffin; Conor McCormack, Gearóid Morrissey; Jimmy Keohane, Garry Buckley, Stephen Dooley; Karl Sheppard.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Seán Gannon, Brian Gartland, Seán Hoare, Dane Massey (Shane Grimes 28); Chris Shields (Stephen O’Donnell 67), Robbie Benson; Dylan Connolly, Patrick McEleney, Michael Duffy (Jamie McGrath 85); David McMillan.

Referee: Rob Rogers (Dublin).

Subscribe to The42 podcasts here:

As it happened: Cork City v Dundalk, SSE Airtricity League Premier Division

‘We just felt worthless… It’s just disgraceful really’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Denis Hurley

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel